Blogger Backgrounds

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hawaiian Pineapple Cookies



I've been reminded periodically that I've left my readers hanging about something for a while.  I mentioned in this post that life has taken me in different directions and I haven't gotten around to explaining what that meant.

Once we got done moving, life started settling down for us.  Between the peace of not having to look for housing anymore and having some of our financial worries settled, my stress level was much lower.  Stress is paralyzing.  I spent so much time in front of my computer in the past because I was so stressed I couldn't function.

On top of that, our old house was very compartmentalized.  If I was in the kitchen, I couldn't see what the kids were up to in the living room.  So in order to keep up with what my very busy toddler was up to, it was really easy to justify sitting in the living room with him all day.  With my laptop sitting right next to my chair, it was even easier to play with my computer for hours at a time.

In this house, I have a clear shot from the kitchen into the living room.  So most of the time now, I will go online for a little while in the morning when I wake up.  I might check in again around lunchtime.  But for the most part, if the computer is on at all, it's in the kitchen with me.  I watch a lot of movies or TV series on Netflix when I'm in the kitchen so I stay focused on staying in that room.  I don't have the stress I had before, so I have more motivation to keep the house clean and organized.

Which also means I've done a TON more baking and enjoying my time in the kitchen creating things.

One day, I REALLY wanted cookies.  But I didn't want the same old chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies I usually make.  Several years ago, my mom put together a cookbook of all her favorite recipes.  I decided to peruse through it and see what new recipes I could try.

These Hawaiian Pineapple Cookies have quickly become one of my very favorites.


The recipe is originally from a cookbook called A Pinch of Salt Lake by Amy Bowman.

Hawaiian Pineapple Cookies

1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Drained Crushed Pineapple* (save juice)
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts (macadamia, pecans, almonds, etc), optional

Frosting:
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp Butter, softened
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 or 3 Tbsp Reserved Pineapple Juice (or more)

Topping:
3/4 Cup Flaked Toasted Coconut

*I only had pineapple chunks on hand, so I threw them in a blender for a few seconds, then squeezed the pineapple through a sieve to drain the juice.


 A quick note on toasting the coconut.  It's really easy, but needs to be done cautiously.  Bake the coconut on a cookie sheet for 7 to 12 minutes.  Stir it every 2 to 3 minutes to make sure all the coconut is toasted evenly.  If you're like me, you'll want to toast a LOT more than you'll need for the cookies.  I can't stay out of the stuff!


 Put all the cookie ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well.  Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.


While they are baking, make the frosting.  Put all the frosting ingredients in a small bowl.


Mix until fluffy.  


Frost the cookies.  If the frosting is too thick, you can heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and then stir.  Then, dip the cookies in the toasted coconut.



Try not to eat the entire batch in one sitting.  It's really tempting, I know.




1 comments:

Joan said...

Just a sidebar about these cookies:Amy used to be in my ward and she brought the cookies to something at the church one time. I was hooked, so before she moved back to SLC, she shared the recipe with me. Yes, they are addictive.