Blogger Backgrounds

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Country Girl?


I always believed I would thrive living in a small town.  I get claustrophobic in traffic and don't like crowds.

But even more than small towns, I always wanted to live in the country.  My ultimate dream was to be so far away from my nearest neighbors that I could stand on the roof and not see them.

I have that now.

And I love it.

But let's face it.  After 30+ years of living in cities, living in the country for a few months isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Case in point:

I made a quick run into town to get snacks for my hard working man.  As I was headed down our dirt road, I saw an animal on the side of the road.  It looked like it was eating something.  I had seen a badger about a mile and a half from our place last fall and wondered if that's what this was.

Whatever it was, it was pretty brave.  A truck driving right past it didn't even deter it from its meal.

I really wanted to see what it was, so I slowed down, checked to make sure no one was behind me, and started backing slowly up the road.

When I got there, it hadn't moved.  I turned the truck so the headlights were shining on the animal, and then opened the door and stood out the door to look at it.  (I wasn't taking any chances on being attacked by an angry badger!)





Dead raccoon.




But was it really dead?  Was it just injured?  Was it going to lunge at me?

So I grabbed a couple of rocks from the road to throw at it.

Yup.

It was dead.



So... um... yeah...

That's me.

The brave "Country Girl" throwing rocks at a dead raccoon.

1 comments:

Joan said...

I'm glad you were cautious. Injured raccoons can be mean. Your experiences living in the country do not appeal to your mother at all but I'm delighted you have that opportunity.