Blogger Backgrounds

Friday, May 10, 2013

Lots of Love

That's my Mommy when she first became a mommy.  That's her holding my sister way back in the very groovy and funky early 70's.  I would use a picture of her holding me as a baby, but I don't have one on this computer right now.

And yes, I'm 37 years old and call my mother "Mommy."  Why?  Because she is The Best Mom Ever.  You can try to argue that and say your mom is The Best, but you would be wrong.  And considering how many of my friends are trying to get my mom to adopt them, I'm not the only one who shares that opinion.

Considering that I have ZERO concept of time these days (what year is it now?) I totally forgot that Mother's Day was coming up this soon and didn't leave money in my budget to get anything for my sweet mom.  Normally, I would buy her a corsage.  It's a traditional thing.  On Mother's Day, my mom wears a fresh, pretty corsage to church.  And I feel bad that I can't afford to do that for her this year.  She deserves something special.


Although, she did buy us a new printer as a combined Mother's Day/Father's Day gift this year.  Maybe I could print some paper flowers and make a corsage?  What do you think, Mom?

It wouldn't get there on time for church this Sunday, but it's the thought that counts, right?


Instead, I will give her my words.

My mom had grand plans for her future when she was younger.  She wanted 12 kids, and she wanted to be home with them all day.  But that's not what happened.  She married my dad and had two kids.  And then they divorced.  She found herself as a single parent, trying to raise two kids and pay the bills all on her own.  No chance to be home all day with us, baking cookies and reading stories to us.

And even though things didn't go the way she planned, I think she did an amazing job.  My sister was a National Merit Scholar and went on to follow Mom's footsteps choosing teaching as her chosen profession.  I was an honor roll student and provided my mom with the two cutest grandkids there ever was!  (Don't argue.  I already proved my point about my mom being The Best.  I know what I'm talking about.)  I also have followed my mom's footsteps in being able to live the dream she always wanted.  I'm home all day with my kids, baking cookies and reading stories to them.

Through the years, my mom always did great things for my sister and me.

Like making Apricot Tapioca Pudding for us.  Which is definitely a genetic thing because Surfer Pirate and Pirate Munchkin don't like it, but Pirate Baby and I can't get enough!  It's amazing and delicious and now that I'm thinking about it, I might have to make some today.

She took us to Jackson Hole, Wyoming every summer to visit our grandparents.  As an adult, I know she did that because she couldn't afford to take us other places, and she needed the support and love of her wonderful parents.  But to us, that was the greatest adventure!  We got to drive through Yellowstone Park, with all of its magnificence.  We got to go swimming in the lakes in Teton Park.  We went to the Shoot-Outs in Downtown Jackson.  We made forts with the neighbor kids out of the bushes near the houses.  Grandpa would get us tickets to ride the Alpine Slide.  We stood on the deck with our cousins watching the fireworks every 4th of July.  I can't even imagine a better place for kids to spend their summers.

She always listened and always had good advice.  Some of my very favorite memories were of the times the three of us would pile on to Mom's bed and just talk for hours.

My mom taught me the love of reading.  She read to me when I was growing up, and I read to my children.  She could often be found sitting quietly in her room, with a book in her hands.  I too can often be found off by myself with a book in my hands.

She taught me that my Heavenly Father loves me.  She taught me the importance of being faithful to your beliefs even when life gives you challenges.  She taught me how to serve others.

My mother taught me how to love.  She taught me how to cherish my children.  She showed me through her own wonderful example what a mother is.


I'm sorry I wasn't able to send you to church with gardenias or orchids this year, Mom.  But I wanted you to know just how much I love and appreciate you.  Your love and support have gotten me through so many tough times, and I am PROUD to call you My Mother.  My Sweet Mommy.  My Best Friend.




Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I love you!




1 comments:

Joan said...

Sending you lots of love - you are a great daughter, a good friend and a wonderful mom.