Blogger Backgrounds

Monday, January 3, 2011

2010: The Year of Change

I'm working on Pirate Baby's birth story for this blog. I'm being very detailed with it, and I'm not sure how far I want to go with it. I apologize in advance for the size of it because I'm mostly writing it for me, and I don't want to forget any details.

Meanwhile, I saw a questionaire on a friend's blog and thought it would be a good thing to do for the most life-changing year I've ever had.


1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth and moved to North Dakota

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions. I try to make a regular attempt to improve my life, but I don't do it on a year-to-year scheduled basis.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lots! This was definitely the year of babies. Just from one side of the family, there were 6 of us cousins who had babies - mine was the only boy. Plus many new friends. I also have several more friends and family members who have babies due in the next couple months.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one close to me (at least that I can think of - I'm still dealing with Baby Brain), but a wonderful man who I've always respected and loved died just after Christmas.

5. What countries did you visit?
None. Although Small Town North Dakota does feel like a different world sometimes! LOL

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
No financial stress.

7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 22nd. The day my beautiful little boy was born.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Again, the birth of my baby.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Getting my household packed up for the move. I had plenty of time, but I was dealing with first trimester morning sickness and exhaustion. But I still feel bad that I needed more help. I should have done more by myself.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Normal pregnancy-related illnesses. I never really got a cold or flu or anything like that when I was pregnant, but I got a NASTY cold from being in the hospital after he was born.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our gorgeous house

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My little family. Surfer Pirate for all his hard work and his support of me, and Pirate Munchkin for putting up with a hormonal mess of a mom who wasn't very patient most of the time.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My dear friend's former employers. The things they did to her were disgraceful! Technically, their behavior was all from 2009 and earlier, but she is still dealing with the repercussions.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Paying bills, trying to get caught up. This big move and Surfer Pirate's employment changes are going to fix those problems.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being pregnant and anticipating the birth of my little boy.

16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2010?
Can't Take My Eyes Off of You by Frankie Valli. Years ago, I changed the lyrics a little to make it into a lullaby. I finally got to use it this year!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. Happier or sadder?
Definitely happier. All the financial stress that we've been under is going to be easing up soon, I've finally got the baby I've waited 12 years for, life in our little town is much more peaceful. I could go on and on.

iii. Thinner or fatter?
Pretty much the same. I didn't put much weight on with the pregnancy, so I'm almost back to pre-pregnancy weight now.

v. Richer or poorer?
Basically the same, but we'll be richer pretty soon.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sorting through all the junk we've got stored in boxes! We got rid of a ton of stuff in the process of the move, but there are still WAY too many boxes in my basement!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being a big hormonal mess. I had very little patience with my daughter, and that makes me really sad.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
(Edited because the original question was to be answered before Christmas.) We spent Christmas in the hospital. We were all together, but it wasn't a lot of fun. Thankfully, Santa found us and made sure the kids had plenty of gifts this year.

21. How many one-night stands?
Never in my life.

22. What was your favorite TV program
Probably Big Bang Theory. I don't really have favorite shows that I watch all the time, but that one never fails to make me laugh.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
While there are certainly people I don't care for, I don't really hate anyone.

24. What was the best book you read?
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Although I didn't actually finish it until today. It was such a great story! I highly recommend it.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Not so much a discovery, but my greatest musical experience this year was the concert we went to in October. Surfer Pirate and I are STILL talking about it!

26. What did you want and get?
My baby to arrive safely and in good health.

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I've seen lots of great movies this year, but I think my favorite was How to Train Your Dragon. So much fun!

28. What did you do on your birthday?
I seriously do not remember. That was a loooooong time ago.

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Will this shirt fit over my big belly?

30. What kept you sane?
I have two main things that keep me sane - peace and quiet and time with Surfer Pirate. As long as I get those two things on a regular basis, I'm good.

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Meh. Don't really care.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Politics - Blech

33. Who did you miss?
My sister. I miss her all the time.

34. Who was the best new person you met?
My fun new friend who says I'm a bad influence on her. She reads my blog and knows who she is.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010: Moving (especially when pregnant) is horrible. I never, ever want to do it again!

2 comments:

Joan said...

Great answers! This holiday season was such a mixture of highs and lows, but the biggest high was definitely the safe arrival of your son / my grandson. Now if everyone could just stay healthy for a little while...

B. said...

I totally agree with your last statement, having been there myself. I hope to never, ever move again while pregnant. It IS horrible.